Come down to Chatfield, bring your girlfriends and learn how to sail from one of our fabulous female instructors! No prior sailing experience necessary!
Why just ladies?
Many women prefer to learn sailing skills in a positive learning environment with just women. This provides a relaxed and fun atmosphere without any pressures that may arise from mixed gender situations. You will be in safe, calm and competent hands!
We have another reason for holding ladies night... The sailing industry's growth has slowed in Colorado, and the small population that do still sail are about 90% men. By attending our 'ladies night' you will be contributing to the future of sailing in Colorado; you will be part of keeping the sport alive; you yourselves, just be being women, will be making history for the sailing community.
What does 'Ladies Sailing' Involve?
Ladies Sailing runs once a week and is a chance for women to get outdoors and active, learn something new, and be part of this new community. We all meet at the Colorado Watersports' Base at Chatfield Reservoir, and each week's session will focus on a different aspect of sailing.
How is the two hours split up?
The two hours will work out to be approximately:
- 20 minutes rigging boats, and learning theory of that weeks topic on land.
- 1 hour of sailing and practice drills.
- 30 minutes of a mini race or group team challenge.
- 10 minutes putting the boats 'to bed' for the night.
What kind of things will we learn?
- How to rig a boat.
- Upwind sailing and trim.
- Downwind sailing and trim.
- How to recover after a capsize.
- Efficient Sailing: weight management and heel, when to use the dagger-board, choice of sails.
- Using and trimming a jib.
- Using and trimming a spinnaker.
If enough women attend Ladies' Night on a regular basis we hope to enter a few women's teams to some of the annual regattas in and around Denver, and show the guys how its done! Perhaps in a few years we could launch the 'Denver Women's Sailing Club'....